September 18th 2023.
Marco Bettolini had worked at the Ca' di Rajo winery for more than five years. On September 14th, tragedy struck when he fell into a vat of prosecco while attempting to rescue his colleague and friend, Alberto Pin.
Mr. Pin had become overcome by dangerous fumes while inside the tank, and Mr. Bettolini rushed in to save him. Unfortunately, he fell from the edge of the vat and struck his head hard on the bottom, causing his death. It is unclear if he passed away from asphyxiation or drowning.
Simone Cecchetto, the owner of the winery, expressed his grief at the tragedy. "We are overwhelmed by grief - for us, they are two brothers, two sons. My thoughts go only to these two boys who grew up with us and their families. We pray that the boy who was injured recovers as soon as possible."
Prosecutors have since begun an investigation and plan to seize the tank at the center of the incident. Chief prosecutor Marco Martani stated, "From the information gathered so far by the judicial police, no one should have entered that autoclave, as the maintenance work is entrusted to a specialized external company equipped with masks and systems that would have prevented the risk of gas poisoning. From an investigative point of view it is important to delve into the reason why the two employees entered the tank."
It has since emerged that neither of the men, both highly experienced in the industry, were wearing an oxygen tank and respirator. This could have been a key factor in the tragedy.
The passing of Marco Bettolini has been a great loss to the Ca' di Rajo winery, and his beloved colleague Alberto Pin is still in hospital and in an induced coma. Our thoughts and prayers are with them both and their families.
[This article has been trending online recently and has been generated with AI. Your feed is customized.]