A unicorn is a startup company with a “value” in excess of $1,000,000,000.
I follow the population of unicorns on the Crunchbase Unicorn Board:
which shows a total of 879 unicorns.
1. In CY 2020, a total of 161 companies attained unicorn status.
2. Thus far in CY 2021, 250 additional companies have attained the lofty unicorn status and we have only consumed half of the year.
The distribution of unicorns is as follows:
1. 161/250 are headquartered in the United States — well more than half of all unicorns;
2. 10/250 are headquartered in each of China and Canada;
3. 9/250 — India, Germany; and,
4. 7/250 — England, Israel, France
As you can see the US is still the place to be by a long shot.
These Class of 2021 unicorns have raised $78B whilst creating more than $419B in post-investment value.
We are seeing record levels of venture funding and the creation of unicorns. Well played.
But, hey, what the Hell do I really know anyway? I’m just a Big Red Car.